Monday, January 19, 2009

Taxes and Travel

Right now I'm playing the W2 waiting game. I'm a little bit nervous, because three of my four W2's are coming from former employers in another state. I had to contact each with my new address, and I'm not sure if I gave them sufficient enough warning for them to be mailed to the right place. For one of them, I can retrieve it online so it's a non-issue, but I'm still nervous about the other two. I want them as soon as possible so I can go over to H&R Block and do everything ASAP. The fourth one, from my current employer, won't be a problem obviously!

In 2008, I had a full-time job, a part time job on top of it due to sub-standard pay at the full-time gig, and then in the summer I went back to a former job that I had enjoyed. So that is why I have so many W2's that will be coming! I'm looking forward to doing my taxes because in 2008, I made the most money I have ever made in a year so I should be getting a really awesome refund.

I also pulled my Discover Card statements from July and August up today, and added up my deductions for traveling to interview and moving. The total amount I'll be able to write off will be $1,165.04! That will be really nice, and should boost my total refund amount a little.

In other news, C and I are planning a trip for April when I have spring break. We will probably be going to Las Vegas. I have never been there, and after comparing prices we found that it's cheaper to go to Vegas than it would be to go on a cruise (even if we drove down to the port!). I will be able to pay cash for my plane ticket and my part of our hotel, and then C said that he would pick up the tab for everything else when we're there. So even though food, shows, cover charges to clubs and all that are extra, I won't have to budget that in--though I will probably set aside a small amount of money for shopping and gambling!
I am so lucky to have a debt free boyfriend who spoils me rotten. ;)

I wish we could book now, but I'm waiting for the above mentioned tax refund to come because otherwise I'd have less than I'm comfortable with in savings. I know that some readers would argue that I shouldn't go on a trip when I'm in debt still, but the way I see it is--I'm paying cash so I will be able to truly enjoy it. I won't have to dread incoming bills from it whatsoever. And it's not a super extravagant expensive trip. It'll basically be a long weekend! I am very excited.

I will be sure to post as my W2's trickle in, and further updates about trip planning as well.

1 comment:

  1. OMG! i have been stalking my mailbox too! Unlike you i didn't have the foresight to call up my old companies (Worked in a mall) to get my docs sent to me int my new state..so i have to go to a PO box that i have over there...work is sooo busy now that it's kind of annoying to use up a wknd to go there... i want to do my taxes so bad....this is the most i'll probably receive this year

    ReplyDelete