Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Dental Expenses

At the end of February, I have a dental appointment scheduled. I have not seen a dentist in over two years, because I was not insured. I was supposed to become insured as of January 1 through my employer, but due to a paperwork snafu, it didn't happen.

As a result, I have to pay for this dentist visit out of pocket (and all subsequent visits this year). I got the name of my new dentist from a co-worker. When I called, to schedule my first appointment, the receptionist said that the exam is $59, x-rays are $199, and cleanings start at $80 but it could be more based on the type of cleaning I need. I'm sure I'll need far more than the low-end one given the amount of time it's been since I last had a professional cleaning.

Ouch!

I already know I can't afford the x-rays--there's just no way I'm touching my summer money to do it. Going on a payment plan is out of the question, too. I'm going to firmly, but politely, explain to the dentist when I go that I do not believe in payment plans, and therefore will not allow x-rays to be done at this time. Hopefully, that will work. I have been warned that some dentists refuse to take you as a new patient unless you have the x-rays done, so I'm hoping that's not the case. What I can do though is promise that I will have the x-rays done over the summer, when I'll be working at a second job. I'd like to get my teeth cleaned 3 times a year from now on, anyway.

Provided he'll still do an exam, with no x-rays, and clean my teeth, I can pay for those out of pocket without touching savings--but it will make February a really tight month.

I wish I could just wait to go until I'm insured, but at this point that's not an option anymore. It's been too long, my mouth feels really yucky, and I don't want my teeth to rot and fall out (ha!). I'm lucky that in my 24 years, I have never had a cavity! =)

Any readers have tips on how to deal with explaining to a doctor that I cannot go into debt over dental or even just normal medical procedures, and therefore need to refuse a routine thing until I save more money?

No comments:

Post a Comment