Sunday, January 25, 2009

February Budget

Payday is coming up on Friday, so with that in mind, I'm going to post my February budget. Please comment and tweak where you see fit!

Income: ~$2,200

I'm not sure on the exact amount yet because I just changed my tax withholdings, and I'm finally on the correct salary scale at work beginning this month, so I'll find out when it's direct-deposited Friday.


Rent: $600
Utilities: $75 (electric and water are on one bill; I don't have any gas appliances)
Internet: $50
Cell Phone: $83
Car Payment: $264
Car Insurance: $90 (this will go down in March--a separate post on that will be written soon!)
Discover Card: $81
Ninjutsu/Kickboxing Class: $110
Ninjutsu Weapons: $36 (these are required, and Sensei will kill me if I procrastinate on this any longer)
Summer Savings: $150
Prescription: $30
Doctor Co-Pay: $20 (I have another doctor's appointment besides the dentist in February)
Food: $150
Gas: $150

After all those expenses, that leaves me with $401. However, next month is when I am going to the dentist, so I know I'll be spending $59 for the exam and at least $80 for the cleaning. If they require me to have the x-rays in order to take me as a patient, I'll have just enough to cover that--but I'm really hoping that if I'm polite but firm and promise to come back in a few months for them after I can save up for it, they'll let it go for now.

Some other notes:
  • I didn't budget for entertainment, because whenever C and I go out, he always pays. He has to go to some Army training stuff for a couple weeks in February, so he won't be around, but I usually just hang out at home and entertain myself online or get stuff done around the house. I spend time with my neighbor a lot, and it doesn't cost any money to have a board game or video game or movie night at home. We also cook dinner for each other during the week and eat so we can catch up (as opposed to spending $ to go out to dinner!).
  • Valentine's Day is next month--C will be gone on the actual day, so we'll be celebrating it late. That means that I can get chocolates and and a card for him on sale the day after when they're all marked down a whole bunch! =)
  • Since I'm trying to make sure I have enough money for summer, I don't have much of a debt snowball going currently. I've just been moving all extra into my savings account. I'd rather have too much than not enough, and I can use all the extra cash later on as a huge snowball all at once.
  • I'm doing without buying any new clothes, or "stuff." Definitely not needed, nor do I have the space in my one bedroom apartment anyway! =)
  • Items like shampoo, soap, toothpaste, laundry detergent, toilet paper, etc. are included in the Food category.
That's about all for now--I'll check in this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment