Thursday, January 29, 2009

Possible Overdraft Fees

I was really excited for today. I had budgeted so well since my last payday, and I was sure I'd have about $100 to move into savings.

Not only was I wrong, I might be hit with some overdraft fees tonight!

I thought all my bills for January had been paid, but I was wrong. The fees for my ninjutsu dojo hadn't been taken out yet. I have them set up on auto-draft and I completely forgot that they are paid on the 28th each month. So that came out last night, and then this morning I had grabbed an Egg McMuffin at McDonald's (paid for with my debt card). I checked my account balance a little bit earlier, and saw that I was -14.23. Yikes!!!

So immediately I transferred funds from savings to make my checking account positive, and then I called my bank because I didn't see any overdraft fees yet. They said that:

  1. Since I moved the funds over before 2 p.m., they will officially "post" at midnight.
  2. Whether or not I am hit with fees depends on if the merchants submitted paperwork for the pending transactions to be posted at midnight tonight. Both my ninjutsu fees and McDonald's are pending, as are a couple other things. But the customer service lady said that I moved enough for everything to clear--and the most important thing was that I had done it before 2 p.m. so it could be processed with today's business.

I get paid at midnight tonight (direct deposit) but that doesn't offically "post" until midnight tomorrow--so while it'll be "available," it can't help me avoid possible fees. Ugh.

I won't be able to see if fees were assessed until tomorrow morning. If they are, I'm going to call and ask for a refund. I know it's my own fault, but since this never happens they may be able to do it as a courtesy. If they can't be refunded, I'll probably be paying an overdraft fee stupid tax.

Next month, I'll be using cash envelopes and therefore hopefully avoid this whole scenario from happening again. =)

At least it's going to be payday. I will update tomorrow with what happens with this.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome site here, I love how you keep track of your savings account and how much debt there is...nothing like having it stare at you everytime you go to blog.

    Sorry it took me so long to add you to my blogroll, to be honest for some reason your comment went into my spam folder in wordpress.

    I commend you on your profession, my wife is actually going to school majoring in early education. Good luck and I look forward to future posts!

    Sincerely,

    D.A. Slinkard

    ReplyDelete