Friday, January 23, 2009

Second Job.

I really wish I could pick up a second job to speed this whole process along. Dave Ramsey calls for "gazelle intensity" which means doing anything and everything within your power to increase income to get out of debt faster.

However, I can't see myself getting a second job right now. Any part-time employer would have to be willing to work around the schedule for my full-time job. Many times, we have faculty meetings that we don't find out about until the day of, or at most, the day before, so a second job would have to be willing to let me be late if that happens since my career comes first. On top of that, I refuse to give up my ninjutsu classes. They keep me sane and balanced and they are a lot of fun. So, that's another thing an employer would have to be willing to work around. I can't see myself being hired *anywhere* with such limited availability right now.

So, for the time being, I will budget well, and focus on teaching (which is my career job). I'm off in the summer, so for those couple months I'll find a part time position and attempt to work close to full-time hours to make up for not working two jobs now!

3 comments:

  1. Does your school district offer summer school? Usually you get paid for that at your normal hourly rate of pay. I always waitressed weekends during the school year and worked summer school. Even working at the high school level, it was only 26.5 days of work (so a little over five weeks which left quite a few other weeks in the summer to relax or travel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure we do have summer school, because my district is pretty huge. I don't know any details about it yet, though. It would be the option that pays the most hourly probably, but I wanted to have a break from the kids! Haha. And NONE of the kids want to be there in the summer, so it could make for more discipline issues than I'd care to deal with.

    We'll see--sometimes summer school is only 1/2 days, so if that's the case it might not be so bad. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I did (I'm a librarian) is make sure that I teach at a different level. I'm usually in elementary, so for summer school, I would do high school. You might be able to flip between middle and high school depending on your subject. If you're elementary, try a different grade level. I actually find working summer school to be a refreshing professional experience. The administrators truly appreciate their teachers and you get to know a whole different set of colleagues. As for the students, some are there for acceleration, some because they really want to graduate and then, yeah, some are there under duress. Takes all kinds.

    I obviously have had extremely positive experiences in summer school! I really recommend it, plus you're not going to find better money for the time.

    ReplyDelete