Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Journey to Freedom

Being debt free has always been a dream of mine. I didn't know how I could singlehandedly go about doing it. After all, it seemed like an insurmountable obstacle. It was a very scary thing, to add up all my debts and realize that I owed a grand total of $28,883 to different people. Almost a full year's salary in my case!

However, I didn't let it get the best of me. First, I gave thanks. I got a new job in 2008, and although it required me to move 600 miles, it was for the best. I couldn't be happier in that respect. The negative part was that I added $3,000 in credit card debt between traveling to interview and moving itself because I just didn't have the cash in savings. I'm still working my way out of that hole. After I got situated in my new home, I sat down with all my bills and added up the grand total. I owed on my credit card, my auto loan, a Federal Stafford student loan, two medical bills, and I also had to pay off an apartment lease that I broke when I got my job offer.

Soon after I started at work, I got the first part of a signing bonus I was promised. That went toward my credit card and paying off the two medical bills. Later, I got the remainder of the bonus which allowed me to pay off my old leasing company and to put another $1,000 toward my credit card debt. Then, after some investigation, I found that my Stafford loan qualified for teacher loan forgiveness because of the school I started teaching in. I put in the paperwork for that, so that eliminated another $11,000 of my debt. It's still "technically" there because I have to work in my building for 5 years before the balance is cancelled, but I plan on staying. *knock on wood*

So...here I am. All I have left to get rid of is my lone credit card and my auto loan, and I will be free! The purpose of this blog is to chronicle my journey, as well as to offer advice and encouragement to anyone who is following the same road.

Like the ninja says, "Ha-ji-meh." (Let us begin!)

1 comment:

  1. Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog... came to check your out.... I usually like the links on my page to have been going on for one or two months but i'll definitely add you to my reader... good luck with your journey.... throw in a little about your teaching too. It would be interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete